Sunday, October 10, 2010

Miniworks

Every year, the Nepean Arts and Design Centre holds an exhibition of works measuring no more than 15x15x15cm. In 2008 I entered several sculptures into the display of what ended up being 140+ works, if I recall correctly. Ten finalists were to be selected for exhibit in Penrith Regional Gallery at a later date, which didn't end up happening and they were eventually shown in the Hawkesbury Regional Gallery in 2009, along with that year's finalists. Two of my entries were selected, one of which was a ceramic bear I'd put a fair bit of work into.

Ursus arctos spelaeus sedentarius
He was underglazed, fired with a copper wash, and the claws are made of plastic.

My other selected work I entered at the last moment as a joke.

Adventure Brick
It's half a brick that I st- borrowed, with a crude depiction of half a brick flying through the air drawn on one face. Reference for the drawing was captured by throwing it in the air and taking photos of it, which was very dangerous.
In spite of the prestige it earned as a selected finalist, the many tales of adventure that could be inferred through its grass stains, and it's low price tag of $5, no one bought it and it remains in my possession. The public has good taste.

This year I submitted three entries, all derived from the small ink and watercolour paintings on plywood I've been working on, one of which was selected as a finalist and should be displayed in the Hawkesbury Regional Gallery at some point in the future. It's technically four works, 105x150mm panels that lean against each other.
The exhibition is still on display in C-Block, the ceramics department, of the Nepean Arts and Design Centre. You can read about the exhibition here, and view the finalists here.

No comments:

Post a Comment