Monday, December 23, 2013

Dip pen

Bought a new dip pen and nib today, did a quick drawing to try it.
 

Pebeo India ink on Canson drawing 220gsm paper.
First time I've used a dip pen in about four years, I really like this one. Kind of glad I lent my last one to a friend then forgot which friend. Wouldn't have bought this one otherwise, which is a real pleasure to use. I do not have fond memories of my last one, which was very inconsistent and held hardly any ink, so had to be dipped after drawing about 10cm of line at best.


From what I can gather, it's a D. Leonardt & Co. Mapping Nib. I picked it out of about a dozen different nibs because it looked like it would produce the finest line, and it didn't disappoint. More than that, I'm really impressed with the amount of drawing that can be done with a single dip into ink. I gave up on trying to resurrect my broken Staedtler Mars matic 0.13 technical pen, which produced magnificently fine black lines, but was incredibly temperamental. This should serve as a good substitute, an added bonus over the technical pen is that line weight can be varied easily with pressure. Whereas the Staedtler, by design, produces a single consistent line thickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment